Friday, September 23, 2005

Aaron's Music Club

One of the many unavoidable aspects of urban Chinese life is the constant presence of music.  From the store to the park to the restaurant and everywhere in between, there lie speakers and, more rarely, musicians, playing at varying levels of quality and volume. In the case of recorded music, this is typically low and high, respectfully.  While in this environment, I kept an open ear to this deluge of sound in order to distinguish something I liked and could pursue further, but for the longest time, I couldn’t find anything that really piqued my interest.  Then, one day, I walked into the office where I worked, and one of my co-workers was playing an album by 许巍 (Xu Wei) called 时光漫步 (Through the Time).  It really struck me as a different, both musically and lyrically, from the music I’d become accustomed to as the soundtrack to my public Chinese life.  I asked my co-worker about him, and she responded that he was a great singer and songwriter but was far too short and ugly to be a pop sensation.  I guess he’s pretty popular in Kunming, though.  Anyway, here’s one of the tracks off that album called 一天 (One Day).  I hope you like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home